Logo

Logo

Homes my clients rented

Homes my clients rented

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Maintaining The Fairest Housing of Them All



ORIGINALLY POSTED AUGUST 2007

I recently read a case about a Philadelphia landlord that refused to rent to a couple after learning that they were in the process of adopting a child. According to the couple, the landlord’s explanation for refusing to rent the unit was that it was too small for a family. Ouch! Actual court filing

Fair housing compliance on any multifamily property is a continuous work in progress. As managers recruit new staff and retrain existing staff, maintaining the clearest understanding of Fair housing policies is paramount. I find that a vigilant attitude towards professionalism is the most effective approach when training my team on conducting tours and everyday resident interaction.

The most obvious methods to maintain Fair Housing law awareness are in house workshops, regular dissemination of literature and case scenarios, as well as mandating attendance to NAA/ FAA/SEEFA seminars are a must. But, there is nothing that will have a greater impact than the example demonstrated by leadership. My expectation is that the relationships I maintain with my uber diverse staff will mirror or reflect how they treat our equally diverse current and perspective residents.